One thing that every great driveway has is a good Solid Base!
- Every driveway must start with a solid foundation.
- Proper excavation, meaning removal of loam & sand that needs to be replaced with good gravel.
- Removal of Roots or Lumber that may decay.
- Removal of large stone or round stones that may protrude with winters frost.
- Plenty of good gravel that is well compacted and pitched properly.
- Properly compacted gravel (even the best gravel has to be compacted with compaction equipment).
- A base that has no voids and is settled to the point of no return!
If your Driveway has all of the above, the chances are good that no matter what you put on top of it, as a finished product, you will enjoy for many years!
Another factor of a "good solid base", of course, is the earth in which you are going to "pave over".
For example: here are some Negative Terrains:
- A steep hill that is vulnerable to erosion. (The grand canyon was cut & created by water)
- A swamp or marsh land that is constantly underwater. (will never be a solid base)
- Any extreme of being too steep or too low on the earths terrain will create a disadvantage.
- Ledge ( Large rocks ) can also create a disadvantage (because of the cost of removal and does not provide any drainage).
In every type of driveway, highway, walkway, patio, building, tennis court, basketball court, etc...that exists today it is only as good as the foundation on which it was built!
A well compacted gravel base, is the most important part of every foundation, and needs to be installed in every one of the driveways listed below:
- Concrete driveway
- Asphalt driveway
- Stamped concrete driveway
- Stamped asphalt driveway
- Paver or cobblestone driveway
- Brick driveway
- Stone driveway
- Gravel driveway
How Much Gravel?
Depends on the earth you are paving over, but as a general rule of thumb 4" - 12" of good, solid, compact able gravel.
Gravel that is sandy, or full of large round stone is not recommended.
Good solid compacted processed, or recycled gravel, is the key to every driveway installation!